Yep, we are going to bring up anxiety, the symptoms, our history, and how to move forward. However, we know that in order to have a breakthrough and move forward in life, we have to begin by first talking about anxiety. But, first, we will define “anxiety” and “worry” so that there is no confusion. Disclaimer: we are NOT professionals, psychologists, or doctors so you do not have to take our word for anything we state in the episode. We simply want to share our experience and give advice where we can with anxiety through a Christian perspective.
According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, The three most common anxiety disorders are these:
(There are more than three, but for this episode, we wanted to focus on the top three!)
- Specific Phobias, such as fear of heights, flying, driving, traveling, etc.
- Social Anxiety Disorder (SAD)
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD)
Why are we bringing up anxiety?
#1 REASON: People tend to brush off anxiety as being shy or introverted and that it is alright to be held back because that is just who you are. And, we believe that is a lie from the enemy himself. We believe that God has equipped us through His Word and the Holy Spirit to empower us with strength, guidance, and peace to tackle our anxiety, even while still living with it.
#2 REASON: 2020 has taken a toll on large groups of people that come from all different ages and backgrounds. Anxiety is on the rise, especially during the C*VID-19 pandemic, but the data that we found numbers is both disheartening and alarming, which we share in this episode.
Source from June 29, 2020: https://hartfordhealthcare.org/about-us/news-press/news-detail?articleid=26831&publicId=395
Our History With Anxiety:
David & Lianna both shared their experience with anxiety, specifically social anxiety. Even though David experienced this in high school, Lianna dealt with social anxiety far longer, beginning in middle school up until now. However, we wanted to share our story because we know so many people struggle with this disorder and there will be no breakthrough until you have identified it, ask for help, and get guidance from God, loved ones, professionals, or have prescribed medicine.
Lianna still get very anxious about doing small tasks like going to the grocery store alone, which she has a recent experience with this that she shared on this episode. The sad truth is that she would tell people that she struggles with being shy or introverted because that is easier to say than have to explain her anxiety. Even though her anxiety will never fully go away, it is not something that holds her back anymore through God being her core strength and peace.
How can we move forward & live our lives after identifying our anxiety?
- Pray pray PRAY.
- Talk to someone you trust: your family, friends, a teacher. The point is to NOT keep it inside and be alone in this.
- Take it one day at a time, one moment at a time.
- Plan ahead, prepare for your week, especially if there is a major event, assignment, speech that might give you more anxiety than usual. We know that sometimes things come up late notice, and it is not something that you can control. But, if you set in place of everything else that you already planned for and prepare for, mentally, spiritually, emotionally, and physically, this won’t seem as much as a big deal as it might have been.
- If you feel like things are not getting better, we encourage you to make an appointment with a professional.
We truly wanted to help people with anxiety that may be listening or if you know a loved one or two that have these symptoms that we listed on this episode to know the signs, offer help, and most of all, to pray.
Main Bible Verses Mentioned: Philippians 4:6-7, Matthew. 6:34, Proverbs 3:5-6, 2 Timothy 1:7
Are you loving this podcast? We would love your support to keep our podcast ad-free (who likes ads anyways?) Head here to learn more on how, https://www.patreon.com/thesimplemission
Follow our Instagram for encouraging words, stay updated & vote on future episodes: instagram.com/thesimplemission
And, we also have a BLOG. Read our latest posts: thesimplemission.com/blog
Follow David on Instagram, https://instagram.com/davidgbond
Follow Lianna on Instagram, https://instagram.com/bondlianna